- cutting board
- 1 zuchinni – 6 to 8 inches long Longer ones can be used
- 2 tomatoes, paste type or remove extra liquid Substitute 1/2 cup canned, diced tomatoes
- ½ cup grated mozzerella cheese
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ⅛ cup pine nuts toast if you want – brown in a frypan
- ⅛ cup fresh basil, or use 1 Tablespoon dry basil. other herbs like thyme or a mix can be used
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- ⅛ cup bread crumbs or ground oats to grind oats, put in a blender or food processor. Can do a few cups of oats and keep in a jar to use instead of bread crumbs.
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise, from end to end. Scoop out most of the pulp and set aside. Keep about 1/2 inch of the outside.Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a fry pan. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Cook on medium heat until the onions and mushrooms are almost cooked.Add the zucchini pulp and tomatoes. Continue cooking.Add the cheeses, pine nuts and bread or oat crumbs. Simmer until the liquid is evaporated or absorbed. Save some of the cheeses for later ***Put the zucchini boats in a pan with 1 inch sides (can be the lid to a casserole dish or a pie plate. Add about 1/2 inch of waterAdd the filling into the boats. If too much, keep and stuff into fresh peppers or on baked potatoes.Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes. Remove the foil, andTop with a sprinkle of grated cheese *** and top with Parmesan. Return to oven for 10 minutes or put broiler on to brown the cheese.Serve with a simple tomato sauce or no sauce. Extra can be saved and reheated the next day.